The event is over.
(Online) Human x Nature: Unnatural Stories
22 May 2021
11:00am – 1:00pm
In this workshop, artists Darel Seow and Lee Xin Li reveal how they combined their varied interests in architecture, culture and nature to create the site-specific mural “An Unnatural History” that explores the struggle between man and nature along Queen Street.
Learn more about the basics of illustration as they share tips and techniques on how to craft narratives and incorporate stories visually, based on their own experience and collaboration. Participants will get to develop their own artworks during the session.
Remember to do the following before the workshop!
Choose a neighbourhood that you wish to be inspired by for your illustration.
Collect some interesting images and stories on the history of your chosen neighbourhood, as well as elements of nature that interest you.
Material list - Drawing pens / pencils, Coloured pencils, Paper (If you would like to work digitally, that’s fine as well!)
Check out the “An Unnatural History” mural and explore a series of upcoming online talks organised by the creators here.
About the Workshop Facilitator - Darel Seow
Darel Seow is a visual storyteller who illustrates tales of the natural world with his unique brand of wry wit and the whimsy. The illustration graduate from Central Saint Martins believes in using storytelling as a means of engagement to create experiences that simultaneously excite and educate. He has worked with The British Museum, National Museum of Singapore, Asian Civilisations Museum and other cultural institutions on projects that encourage learning through the power of imagination and play.
About the Workshop Facilitator - Lee Xin Li
Lee Xin Li is an independent illustrator. Based in Singapore, Lee finds inspiration in the environment in which he grew up, drawing on culture, food, architecture and history. An architecture graduate from the National University of Singapore, his love for the comic series The Adventures of Tin Tin by Hergé and Guy Delisle’s travel chronicles motivated him to begin drawing in 2013. His notable works include the Kueh series and Peta Singapura.
Online Programme/Event Administrative Information
- This programme is conducted entirely online. You may access Zoom via the app or using a web browser
- Please ensure that you enter a valid email address as you will receive an email with the link to the online programme/event near the day of the programme/event
- The link of the programme should not be shared with others
- Do ensure you have a strong internet connection. Using your mobile data is not recommended
- The National Library Board, Singapore (NLB) reserves the right in its absolute discretion to disqualify or refuse admission to any registrant without any reason and notice
Return to the Human x Nature exhibition programmes page »