24 May 2021
The event is over.
(Online) Histories: Biodiversity and Conservation in Singapore’s Fresh Waters
24 May 2021
6:00pm – 7:00pm
Singapore is home to a surprising variety of freshwater animal and plant species, found in habitats ranging from natural forest streams and freshwater swamps to urban reservoirs and canals. Yet, the island’s freshwater environments and associated biodiversity are in many ways different from what one might have encountered some 40 or even just 20 years ago. Find out more about Singapore’s freshwater biodiversity, including changes in its fauna and flora, from Darren C.J. Yeo, Deputy Head of the Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum. He will also touch on challenges facing some of our sensitive or threatened native freshwater species, as well as research and conservation efforts to protect them and their habitats.
About the Speaker
Darren C.J. Yeo is the Deputy Head of the Lee Kong Chian Natural History Museum, and an Associate Professor at the Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, where he leads the Freshwater and Invasion Biology Laboratory. His main research interests lie in freshwater ecology and biodiversity, aquatic invasions and freshwater crustaceans, which the laboratory investigates through studies of freshwater ecosystems in Singapore and other parts of tropical Asia.
About the Series
This series highlights research on historical and related matters in Singapore and the region, creating an appreciation of the role of humanities and social science research in contemporary society.
Online Programme/Event Administrative Information
- This programme is conducted entirely online. You may access Zoom via the app or using a web browser
- Please ensure that you enter a valid email address as you will receive an email with the link to the online programme/event near the day of the programme/event
- The link of the programme should not be shared with others
- Do ensure you have a strong internet connection. Using your mobile data is not recommended
- The National Library Board, Singapore (NLB) reserves the right in its absolute discretion to disqualify or refuse admission to any registrant without any reason and notice