The event is over.
(Online) Histories: Blue Secrets of the Little Red Dot
17 August 2021
6:00pm – 7:00pm
Singapore is an island nation with a long maritime history. Already a widely used port prior to the arrival of the British East India Company, coastal and marine areas in Singapore have undergone dramatic transformations as a result of expanding port capacities and nation-building efforts. Join Dr Zeehan Jaafar as she shares the historical and current uses of marine areas and discusses the efforts undertaken to conserve them.
About the Speaker
Dr Zeehan Jaafar is a lecturer at the National University of Singapore. She is a marine biologist with research interests in the evolution and ecology of marine fishes, and the conservation of their habitats. She has led and participated in many international and regional expeditions to enhance understanding of the diversity and distribution patterns of fish fauna. Author of two books Fishes Out of Water: Biology and Ecology of Mudskippers and Endangered Forested Wetlands of Sundaland −Ecology, Connectivity, Conservation, she is also the lead editor of Singapore Blue Plan 2018 that proposes a set of holistic recommendations for the conservation of marine areas in Singapore. A keen diver, she enjoys sharing her passion for Singapore’s marine areas through public engagement and education.
About the Series
This series highlights research on historical and related matters in Singapore and the region, creating an appreciation of the role of humanities and social science research in contemporary society.
Online Programme/Event Administrative Information
- This programme is conducted entirely online. You may access Zoom via the app or using a web browser
- Please ensure that you enter a valid email address as you will receive an email with the link to the online programme/event near the day of the programme/event
- The link of the programme should not be shared with others
- Do ensure you have a strong internet connection. Using your mobile data is not recommended
- The National Library Board, Singapore (NLB) reserves the right in its absolute discretion to disqualify or refuse admission to any registrant without any reason and notice
Return to the Human x Nature exhibition programmes page »